03.16.2015 § Leave a comment
I don’t tend to change up my hairstyle all too often. BUT when you do get a slight change in season (i.e., first chance for it to hit 70 degrees this year) you do get the itch for a slight change in hair.
Notice the higher fade and the more pronounced swoop across?
OK ok. Maybe you won’t really notice the difference. But it’s there.
I did say slight changes, after all. Let’s not get crazy.
03.11.2015 § Leave a comment
03.10.2015 § Leave a comment
03.04.2015 § 5 Comments
In the middle of February when there was a high temperature of -2 degrees, we found it quite appealing to head to anywhere where it would be 80 degrees warmer than that. On this particular trip, that search took us to Miami.
I hadn’t been to Miami before so we started our research on where to stay that had everything we were looking for: Quick access to the beach. Easy walk to restaurants and shopping. Oh, and of course suave enough for the two of us to want to call it home for a few nights, but not so expensive so that we could still afford to get home once we were all beached-out.
What we found? The Hotel Victor in South Beach right on Ocean Drive.
From the moment we walked in to find that we’d just stepped into a Restoration Hardware catalogue, we knew we were going to enjoy our stay. Actually, I take that back. When we were dropped off by our Uber to find our hotel sandwiched between a gay bar (with a sidewalk drag show going on) and a Pink Berry, THAT is when we fell in love.
If you haven’t been to Miami before, here’s a simple list (a guide, if you will) of what we did. If you have been before, let us know what we should do the next time we go back!
- Grab a big drink at the Sugar Factory. All the drinks here have a fun theme, but the one we chose came in a bowl with two huge lollipops jammed in. If you want something a little more ocean-inspired, try the blue drink complete with “swimming” gummi sharks. Before you order too many, though, remember they’re full of sugar and the prices aren’t on the menu. Makes for a little bit of a surprise when you get your first check.
- Try a caipirinha (fyi, my new favorite drink). We had our first one (several) by our pool, but then ordered two to go and headed to the beach (right across Ocean Drive from the Hotel Victor).
- Explore Espanola Way—a car-free street lined with restaurants. We found the cutest little tapas spot, Tapas y Tintos, and got the seafood paella. Delicious!
- Croissants. The hotel served the best croissants (like the best we’ve ever had anywhere, including Paris) and coffee that made for the perfect breakfast snack to walk along the beach with.
- Have lunch at the Versace Mansion. The prices are reasonable and the food is great. We both got the burger and it did not disappoint.
- Have dinner at Yuca (Cuban restaurant) on Lincoln Avenue and sit in the middle of the ‘boulevard’—a great people-watching spot, and a nice area to do some shopping once you’re done eating.
- Walk the beach and hunt for seashells.
- Lay on the beach.
- Rent bikes and ride along the beach.
- Go back and lay on the beach some more.
- Pout when you have to go back to 2-degree weather, while enjoying the 4-degree warm up!
02.20.2015 § Leave a comment
This year for Valentine’s Day, my boy and I took a vacation to Miami. Since we used the trip as our celebration, I decided these photo strips would be a lovely way for us to remember some of our favorite moments from the past year.
The strips were made through the app Print Studio. And they turned out perfectly!
02.13.2015 § Leave a comment